Sunday, July 6, 2014

Pusheen Roll Cake


I don't know when it happened, but I started to like the character Pusheen immensely. That gray tabby cat that you see as Facebook stickers? Those are the stickers I ever use. Then I saw this roll cake video on YouTube, and decided to make one myself. And which adorable character should I make? Pusheen of course!


I should say first this was not a complete success, and picture didn't come off as clearly as it could be, and my rolling wasn't done that well, but good enough because you can tell it's Pusheen no problem and it's so yummy. I made this cake a while ago before I left for D.C., and I am sure to try again and make a very successful one when I'm back to Indiana. I put fresh cream and strawberries in the roll cake and it was delicious! So delicious that I made the cake again with out rolling up.
Here's the front

And here are their feet

Strawberries and cream is delicious yum yum yum


I'm going to go through the directions briefly, and if you find them confusing, I suggest watching the video that I got inspired from. The recipe I am sharing below is translated by me (with the help of Google translate and some slight background knowledge) from what the user Hey! It's Mosogourmet puts down in the YouTube description box. I've did the conversion for the measurement too, and I'll put both down so you can pick what's easier for you.

First you'll have your picture ready, and put it under your baking paper or silicone baking mat. Since the paper/mat is translucent you can still see the picture, and this is what you will trace later. Another great thing about doing a Pusheen cake is that only two colors are required.

This is what I am going to draw on my cake, put this picture under your baking paper/mat

Oven preheating at 340 F (170 C)
You will need:
4 eggs
1/2 cup and a few tablespoons more flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
a few pinches of corn starch (optional)
5/8 cup (150ml) heavy cream
sugar
strawberries
food coloring
shortening/vegetable oil
Kirsch Wasser (fruit brandy) (optional)

Tools:
electric beater
25cm*25cm pan (10in*10inch)
silicone baking mat/baking paper

==1.== Starting with the yolk batter:
Mix well

-3 egg yolks
-1 teaspoon sugar (35 grams)

Then add in

-4 tablespoons (60cc) of water
-3 tablespoons (40cc) of shortening (vegetable oil)
-a tiny bit (maybe 1 teaspoon) of vanilla
-All purpose flour 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon (80 grams)

Combine all, and that's your yolk batter!

==2.== Beat one egg white, add in a tiny bit of corn starch (I didn't and it's fine). Beat till hard peak (that is, you can lift up your beater a little peak stands there nice and firm).

==3.== Now you can start mixing your "cake batter paints."

The paint is a mix of the yolk batter, fluffy egg white, extra flour, and food coloring.

Basically the ratio of egg batter to egg white to flour for the "cake batter paint" is 1:6:0.5 plus food coloring, so in other words, if you need green paint, you will use 1 teaspoon of egg batter, 6 teaspoons (or 2 tablespoons, since 1 tablespoon is 3 teaspoons) of egg white fluff, and 1/2 teaspoon of flour, plus enough green coloring to create the color you want. So go on and decide how many colors you need, and how much paint you need for each area.

Now to paint your cake, you will paint one color a time. Bake the color real quick so it sets, and paint your next color. Keep in mind which colors to paint first. For smaller areas, say the lines of your picture, put it in the oven for a minute to set, for larger areas, like the green bubbles in the video, bake for 2 minutes to set.

I simply put my cake batter paint into a ziplock bag, and cut a tiny bit off a corner to draw my pictures.

Finishing up my drawing, last color filled in

==4.== When all your drawing and coloring is done, it's time for your cake batter.
Beat three egg whites, add in a pinch of corn starch, and 2 tablespoons of sugar (30 grams), beat till hard peak.

Take parts (about 1/3) of your egg white fluff and fold it in your egg yolk batter. Do this slowly, because the fluffy egg white is what makes your cake fluffy and soft. Don't mix it, gently fold it in, and when it's combined, stop, and don't over mix. Pour your cake batter over your set pictures. Gently slam your tray on the counter to push out any bubbles and so the batter is evenly covering the pan.

Put into oven and bake for 20 minutes, or till when a tooth pick comes out clean, it will be dry and springy to touch.

==5.==Make sure your cake is cool before you add in your whipped cream! Or the cream will melt and make a mess.

Cut slits into your cake so it is easier to roll, you can brush on some fruity liquor if you wish.
Fruity Liquor: 1 tablespoon (20ml) water +1 tablespoon (10 grams) sugar+ 1/2 tablespoon (8 ml) Kirsch Wasser. Kirsch Wasser is this fruit brandy made of cherries.

==6== Then for the cream,
-combine 5/8 cup (150 ml) of heavy cream with
-1 tablespoon (14 grams) of sugar, and beat till hard peak.
Don't over beat your cream! It will flatten down if you overdo it, and if you beat it long enough, you will get tiny bits of butter forming...yes I've been there before when I was whipped cream for the first time.

Then the rest the video (or your logic) speaks for itself, spread your cream, line up your strawberries, and roll away! Wrap the whole thing up and put it in the fridge for a while so that the shape sets.

==Back to my Pusheen cake==
Here are some tips I learned from my experience that you would find helpful. You don't want to draw your pictures too big or you will not be able to see the whole thing when you roll it up. I didn't have a 10*10 pan so I used a smaller one, and the cake turned out much thicker and harder to roll, hence I didn't have a complete roll but more like a U shape.

I really liked the texture and taste of the cake, it was so yummy I made it again without rolling it, and added fruits and cream for a simple layered cake, soooo nice.

Pusheen is so cute, it's been a while since I like a character this much!

Lastly, like my facebook page! I've created a facebook page, like it so you can know when I post, and see exclusive content *wink*

Cake is so yummy I made another one without drawing or rolling...mmmmm


1 comment:

  1. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. mobile alabama king cakes

    ReplyDelete