Wednesday, June 25, 2014

World Cup 2014: Support your team with cookies!


Tomorrow is the U.S. versus Germany game, we are having a viewing party at where I intern, and donations of dessert are welcomed. Since I love sweets I know I will be eating a lot of desserts. To not feel guilty about eating other people's desserts, I feel I should provide some desserts as well. An opportunity to make something sweet and yummy? Of course, I don't mind at all! Instead of just bringing some baked goods, I wanted to bring some themed baked goods. I challenged my self to make world cups cookies, and here is what I came up with. An very important tomorrow, since it's the U.S. team playing, so I shall take the viewing party seriously and make seriously awesome cookies.


 I wanted to make cookies for the two countries competing tomorrow, and flags would be a good place to start with. I don't have my food coloring with me here in D.C., so I started to think what other things could provide colors? Then my roommate's XXL pack of M&M's came to mind...and it happens to be, M&M's can provide all the colors I need. PERFECT. Thanks roommate, for providing me with your very large pack of coated chocolates! He bought them for a party, but the pack's been sitting there for a long time untouched. Well then, now that I'm in the house, I shall put them to good use.

A very, very large bag of M&M's.

Sorting the candies didn't take that long .I used the M&M cookie recipe from here. Instead of mixing in the M&M's, I stick them into the dough. I made little balls, then patted them till they're flat and even. I'm proud of well they look, they look like they came from a cookie cutter, don't they? I sorted the M&M's into different colors, and started pushing them in neatly to the dough. Notice how for the blue candies on the American flag have the little M logo up while other colors don't, that's because the little white logo represents the white stars! Oh the details I have thought of. After baking, the M&Ms cracked a little, but it doesn't affect how awesome my cookies look!

Sorting them doesn't take as long as you think.

So perfectly round, but I didn't use a cookie cutter! I used my hands.

Ready for the oven!

This cookie calls for shortening (I used vegetable oil), and lots of brown sugar. I think these two ingredients combined make cookies nice and chewy, and certain depth of sweetness that only brown sugar provides. It's all very complicated, white sugar versus brown sugar, shortening versus butter and their effects to cookies. If you want to know exactly how these little details affect your baking, you should check out this piece I wrote, inside I share a fantastic article explaining the science in baking, and how you can use that to your advantage to perfect cookies.

World Cup 2014, U.S.A. vs. Germany

So, as I write this article, I'm thinking who will win the game tomorrow, and I hope my colleagues will love my World Cup Cookies just as much as I do, it's going to be a fun day tomorrow! And also, this isn't the first time I've made flag cookies; I made some Taiwanese ones too last year when it was Taiwan's birthday. I didn't write about it, but I think I should, so be sure to like, subscribe, join this site (look to the right hand column, near the top, that's where everything is) so you'll know when I share with you how I made my Taiwanese flag cookies! Also, leave a comment, who do you think will win?
Subscribe, follow, like so that you'll know when I write about these pretty things.

No comments:

Post a Comment